Tuesday 10 January 2012

THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS

I recently watched ‘The Silence of the Lambs’ and thought the opening sequence was a perfect start tot eh film. It starts with a woman (played by Jodie Foster) running through a misty wood. At first I thought she was running away from someone as she constantly looked frightened and exhausted. There was also dramatic orchestral music with a very dark, scary and mysterious tone to it, it also gets more and more dramatic as time progresses, this made me think that something bad was going to happen to her as the tension with the music grew. We also get mostly back shots of her and close ups on her face making us pay attention to the fact this woman will be a main character in the film.
I then noticed she was wearing an FBI jumper which made me slightly confused and then after running for a while we see she is on an FBI obstacle course when someone comes up to her. I really enjoyed this opening as I felt worried and scared right from the start; I was also tricked into feeling an emotion that was not needed which I thought was very clever. The text for the titles is bold, thick and white with a black outline which I think suited the film but it took up the whole of the screen. This actually annoyed me as I was enjoying the excitement of feeling scared but the text took me back and made me bounce back to reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment